Monday, April 27, 2009

Habal habal

by Ronald Jabal


"Habal habal" is very appropriate blog address for my suitcase tales.

(It is the term used by a number of people in the Visayas and Mindanao to refer to a "single" motorycle that ferries people around. It is not unusual to see and hear motorycle riders in Visayas and Mindanao offer you a ride in their habal habal - "Sir, habal habal")


Not only does it sound like my family name "Jabal" but it is a word that is and has stuck with me, in my travels around.

And I found about its meaning in a weird yet funny way.

A few years back, while working as communication consultant for a foreign-funded environment project, I was sent to conduct a training program in Camotes Island in Cebu.

Clutching my "first class" ticket, I went to Pier 2 in Cebu City Pier and looked for the boat that was to carry me to Camotes Island. It was a good 5 hour boat ride, I was told, hence a "first class" cabin would certainly be a welcome treat. Oh boy I was in for a huge surprise!

I asked around where is the "first class" cabin. And I could not understand the puzzled look of the boat crew. One shouted "Pare first class daw ito" with a chuckle.

(Please imagine my look at that day: black pants and jacket and white crisp shirt, and black shoes with huge black "roller" bag" -hey, i was told FIRST CLASS!)

So I finally saw the boat. My jaw dropped out of shock and embarassment. It was a small boat. My initial image of a large cruise ship laughed at me like a shitty hyena. Still, I composed myself.

I asked again, "I am holding a first class ticket, where will I stay?" (I was like a social climbing biyatch in the movie Titanic") - only to be greeted with another round of puzzled eyebrows.

My hopes were fast disappearing but was completely dashed when I saw sacks of palay and copras all the way up to the second floor where the supposed "first class" cabin was located.

"First class" stared at me: a 4o to 50 square meter area enclosed by a glass panel filled with double decks.

Geez Bunteez!!

And so I settled in one of the decks (it had a two-inch cushion and built-in pillow as hard as my mom's pudding) and licked my shameful cruise-dream.

After a million of REMs and a Concerto in G minor from the snoring deck-mates, I finally arrived in Camotes Island. And boy was I surprised!

Throngs of people, mostly men, shouted and greeted me (or so I thought!).

In my mind, these people were shouting "Jabal-Jabal, Jabal-Jabal". It was like they have seen a Rockstar! (me a rock star? more like matinee idol hahahaha)

So the idiot me (at this point I was feeling relieved from my earlier embarassment and feeling overjoyed by the welcomers sent by my hosts), told those shouting, "No, please dont say Jabal-Jabal", I am Mr. Jabal. Just one Jabal".

Then I saw again the bewildered look. And the look became a stare. I repeated again (sigh! what a dumb dumb!) "No, please dont say Jabal-Jabal", I am Mr. Jabal. Just one Jabal".

This was the time my host arrived - he was apparently been laughing all the while at my folly - and explained to me that I was being offered a ride in "habal habal".

Then I realized that was not my lucky day and just laughed at everything. *toink*

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sir! I know you've shared this story with us, but your post still made me laugh. hehe :) I'm looking forward to all your travel stories!
    -Ninin :)

    ReplyDelete